I have heard a lot of chatter about “selling on your own” or in the business, as we say FSBO (For Sale By Owner). Most of the chatter I have heard is nightmare stories from clients who tried it and either were completely disappointed in the results, or worse, were almost taken advantage of by a less scrupulous agent who only wanted what was best for them & their client.
There is a lot of value in having a Realtor on your side. We do so much more than most know, like:
- Handle the technical nuances -- Whether you're the buyer or the seller, a home sale includes a dizzying amount of paperwork. Skilled agents know how to fill out what documents and when - helping you avoid mistakes.
- Speak the lingo -- The industry uses an astonishing number of acronyms. Working with a Realtor gives you the opportunity to better understand the conversation.
- Can negotiate without emotion – Selling or buying a home is one of the most emotional business transactions out there. It's easy to get triggered when a potential buyer picks apart your home. Let the agent handle criticisms or requests that could set you off or scare away an interested party.
- Help you look beyond the property's walls -- Agents have expertise beyond the sale, including insight on everything from utilities to neighborhoods to quality schools.
- Are well connected -- It takes a village to complete a home sale. Whether you need a trustworthy home inspector, an efficient mortgage broker or a creative interior designer, turn to your Realtor for credible recommendations.
- Keep up with the most recent laws and regulations -- You may only complete a few real estate deals in your lifetime, whereas an agent often signs off on several dozen each year. Experienced real estate agents know as soon as something in the industry changes and can save you from a liability & litigious nightmare!